Sign in to follow this  
H-TownDrifter

Converting 4x4 GTR box to rear-wheel drive for my SR20

Hey all,

Just about to start opening up my new found gtr gearbox and converting it to rear wheel drive only.

was wondering if anyone has done this before, if so do you have any useful information for me. like what did you do for the driveshaft etc.

Any help appreciated.

also if anyone has modified any rb bellhousing to suit an sr, id like to some help there too. cheers

Thanks

Marcus

From what everyone will tell you, sell the box and buy an R33 gtst box, same strength, but no head f**ks.

Yes i agree with that 100%

You will sell it for good $$$ since GTR owners would want it

Then u buy an R33 rear wheel drive box - same box, possibly in better condition, and cheaper

Put the money u saved into hookers and coke

if i wanted people to tell me not to do this i would have gone onto a honda forum and asked them. you guys are weak for suggesting that i take the easy road!!!!

if you want some background information that has lead me to deciding to do this, then sweet as - read on...

The Easiest way as you point out is to spend lots of money, for sure.......... eg

in NZ a good r33 gts-t box costs about 2000 - 2500. plus i would need an adapter plate to change to sr cost = $400. so total about $3k

i got this gtr box in a mean deal for $400. i already have a spare sr bell housing, so combine that with a bit of research, hard work and planning and i will save a lot of money and have a stronger box than an r33 gts-t anyway. (gtr internals are bigger than gts-t)

if you actually have anything useful towards the cause i am working for then please let me know.

cheers

From what everyone will tell you, sell the box and buy an R33 gtst box, same strength, but no head f**ks.

Yes i agree with that 100%

You will sell it for good $$$ since GTR owners would want it

Then u buy an R33 rear wheel drive box - same box, possibly in better condition, and cheaper

Put the money u saved into hookers and coke

in nz gtr boxs are way cheaper than r33 gts-t boxs.

as much as i would like to have put the extra cash into hookers and coke, unfortunately its not to be. lol

if i wanted people to tell me not to do this i would have gone onto a honda forum and asked them. you guys are weak for suggesting that i take the easy road!!!!

if you want some background information that has lead me to deciding to do this, then sweet as - read on...

The Easiest way as you point out is to spend lots of money, for sure.......... eg

in NZ a good r33 gts-t box costs about 2000 - 2500. plus i would need an adapter plate to change to sr cost = $400. so total about $3k

i got this gtr box in a mean deal for $400. i already have a spare sr bell housing, so combine that with a bit of research, hard work and planning and i will save a lot of money and have a stronger box than an r33 gts-t anyway. (gtr internals are bigger than gts-t)

if you actually have anything useful towards the cause i am working for then please let me know.

cheers

Pretty sure that bit is wrong. RB25 gearset should be the same. So u got a GTR box for $400. Great! Sell it for $2k and buy an RB25 box.

If, for some strange reason, u still wanna keep the gtr box, disassemble it, pull out the 4wd stuff, cut the transfer case off the side and get a plate welded on, get an engineer to cut both bellhousings and weld em together. Gotta be SPOT ON though.

^^^^^ pritty much only way to do it.

remove the front housing pull out the transfers cut off the case. then its you normal cut and shut for the adaptor.

in Aus at least it normally not considered worth while for the effort.

sell it to an aus buyer then get a gts-t box from aus?? might be cheaper depending on frieght

Pretty sure that bit is wrong. RB25 gearset should be the same. So u got a GTR box for $400. Great! Sell it for $2k and buy an RB25 box.

If, for some strange reason, u still wanna keep the gtr box, disassemble it, pull out the 4wd stuff, cut the transfer case off the side and get a plate welded on, get an engineer to cut both bellhousings and weld em together. Gotta be SPOT ON though.

i know what i need to do - as in the big picture - as you have described, but i'm looking for people who have actually done this before, as i have some specific questions for them, ie regarding how they setup their driveshaft etc

I still dont get why GTR box's would be worth f**k all over there??? dont you guys have the balls to bust GTR boxs over there so hence no market for them???

I recon sell it on ebay in aus. shipping would be no more than 2-300 so if you underprice it compared to other sellers your still going to get people interested and be making more coin than you would for it in NZ. Then get a R33 box sent back to you... Alot less hassles and in the end i recon it wouldbe cheaper.

LOL ok SWEET Bro do what you have to do

goodluck ey!

what a stupid conversion, dont be a tite ass and do it right the first time, and btw gtst and gtr boxes are exactly the same internally.

+1 on hookers and coke! in fact, sell the gtr box and keep ur standard sr box and then you got even more money for the good stuff ;)

i agree with the r33 box option. its one thing to get a cheap box and have a full proof plan in ur head but the amount of time u spend to make it all work, u might realise in the end it might not have been worth ur time. and time is money so therefore u might end up with less coin that u started with! ohh i love maths haha

meh... sell it on ebay AUS for 2k, buy TWO Z32 box's convert them both then sell the spare one for $1500-$2k.

PROFIT

i have to slightly busted GTR boxes that i was looking it doing this conversion too.

there is heaps of external differences, the gtr boxes are heaps longer and the shifter is in a totally different spot.

I just...dont get it.

Why walk through a swamp when you can take the ferry to the right.

You could make money ontop of selling/swappin to 33, have the same strength AND save shitloads less headf**k + have a non opened/cut up and welded up clean box.

Meh :bandaid:

maybe he likes a challenge? i like challenges, until i realise i got no clue what im doing, then i wish i had gone the easy path!

LOL @ everyone who says 'why do it ?'

People like you who once said 'LOL WHY PUT A R33 GTS BOX BEHIND A SR20!? LOLZ!11"

Grow up .. its been done before, its not like hes asking to put an RB26/30 in his mums Corolla.

He's explained why hes doing it and i agree with him,

2 years ago R33 GTS-T boxes were selling for $550 - $700 depending on condition. suddenly they are worth $15,000 each.

LOL @ everyone who says 'why do it ?'

People like you who once said 'LOL WHY PUT A R33 GTS BOX BEHIND A SR20!? LOLZ!11"

Grow up .. its been done before, its not like hes asking to put an RB26/30 in his mums Corolla.

He's explained why hes doing it and i agree with him,

2 years ago R33 GTS-T boxes were selling for $550 - $700 depending on condition. suddenly they are worth $15,000 each.

You mean 1500 each lol.

So going by your theory why didnt they just start doing GTR box's instead of gtst box's behind SR20's??? the reason becuase they require less modifications to work for the same result...simple huhrolleyes.gif

Tell me what advantage would he have using a GTR?

If he cant do all the machining, cut and shut etc himself this gearbox conversion will start to get expensive

meh... sell it on ebay AUS for 2k, buy TWO Z32 box's convert them both then sell the spare one for $1500-$2k.

PROFIT

Probably the only post that makes sense so far.

I'm not sure why you thought the first thing you'd do with it when you bought it so cheap was put it in your own car? :S Sell the f**ker and be done with it, believe me. A Z32 box is just as good and if you get one of Nigel's (on here) kits it's easy as f**k.

what about a 6speed from a 34gtr? anyone done that?

well he hasn't said what gtr gearbox it is! i was thinking the same thing using a 34 gtr getrag gearbox but then a 350z gearbox may be an easier alternative if you want to retain the 6 speed

here man i found you some info, turns out a bunch of dudes have done this conversion

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/R32-Gtr-Gearbox-Rwd-A-t213779.html

hope this helps ya kiwi

check this link out man!

has a fair few pics and some descriptions on what to do!

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f152/1986-bmw-326rb-32022/index2.html

:thumb:

im glad to see that there are at least two helpful people out there. your help is much appreciated.

thanks for the links guys. lots of good information there.

cheers

I still dont get why GTR box's would be worth f**k all over there??? dont you guys have the balls to bust GTR boxs over there so hence no market for them???

I recon sell it on ebay in aus. shipping would be no more than 2-300 so if you underprice it compared to other sellers your still going to get people interested and be making more coin than you would for it in NZ. Then get a R33 box sent back to you... Alot less hassles and in the end i recon it wouldbe cheaper.

Here in NZ we love drifting (and from the redbull world drifting championships - are better at it than the aussies too - with mad mike widdet finishing in the great 8) and to go along with that, it would seem that we get alot of gtr front cuts imported into nz, and most people like bolt on parts, so they buy an expensive (nz$2500) r33 gts-t box to put on the back of their rb26.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Nissan/Gear-boxes/auction-257187453.htm

$800 kiwi dollars for an r33 gtr box on our version of ebay, thats like $25 aussie dollars. buy it, make yourself some money.

wat?? how did 800 turn into 25 bucks? lol im confused

a joke, the aussie dollar is worth more than ours..... lost on some i guess. or maybe its just not that funny. anyway.

Nah thats a fair enough explination mate.

i just couldnt see how a GTR box could be worth less than an R33 box.

And its actual $28.93 at the moment you guys are starting to have a stronger dollar :P